Concord / agreement –subject / verbs –c / a – s/v Tije
Concord / agreement is an agreement between the S with the V in any correct tenses ( present or past)
Exam: an Ox is a strong animal (singular)
Oxen are strong animals (plural)
Rules of concord are: Þ singular / plural verbs
1. S + of noun
Along with The effect of the pollution have bad impactsto the
Accompanied by noun suroundings.
As long as
As well as
The man together with his father is getting angry.
The men together with his father are getting angry
2. someone / anyone /everyone / noone singular verbs
someone is knocking at the door now.
both of plural nouns plural verbs
each of plural nouns singular verb
e-g : all of the children are happy
each of the children is happy
but: noone of the sugar is bitten (uncountable)
4. No + singular . uncountable singular verb
No + plural plural verb
No money here is imiated
No children are going to stay here
5 Uncountale Noun singular verb
Water is eisential for life (but) Two glasses of water are not enough for me.
5. Trousers, shorts, binoculars, scales, pyjamas, sandals, shes, tweerers
Tongs, ayeglasses, scissors, jeans, pliers, pants plural
My trousers are already faded and old.
But : A pair of trousers is very expensive.
6. news, measles, mumps, means, acoustics, athletics, ethics, darts, billiards, singular
biliards, bowls,dominoes, gymnastics.
The news makes us very glad.
8. mathematics, economics, physics, statistics, politics singular (academic disciplines)
Politics is very popular at this university.
But: My politics are not so smart as yours.
9. Indicating group of animals / people.
A flock of birds / sheep
A herd of cattle / elephants
A school of fish singular
A pride of lions
A pack of dogs
A troupe of gypsies
10. congress, jury, club, organization, government, group, family, team, singular or
committee, majority, class, crowd, public, army, minority plural
The majority . minority believes that we are safe
The majority . minotiry of the students believe that we are safe
The class is already painted white
Tthe class are sad due to their captain. (siswa/I di kelas itu)
9. Anumber of children = plural
The number of shildren = singular
uncountable and Uncountable singular
Sugar and tea is expensive here.
10. Collecting (gerund) stamps is my hobby.
11. Twenty five dollars Ten dollars is not enough for us
Five hours singular
EXERCISE ON CONCORD